Bring Down the Walls (and Grow Your People)

10:18 AM
Bring Down the Walls (and Grow Your People) -

When companies decide it's time to redesign a job to start the initiative, the result is they are trying to reach a generally from three things: cost savings, cooperation profits or productivity. It is rare that the word "mentoring" comes.

Yet, a funny thing happened on the way to achieve these three "typical" benefits in our own workplace redesign. We have an intelligent, mature workforce, also. And it does not cost a penny extra

If Citrix designed our new workspace, the walls came down -. Literally. Not a single leader had an office with a door that closed. Senior Manager, infiltrated directors and VPs the frontline of our IT organization and they brought their conversations with them. And in a single day, we won the best mentorship program that we never knew we needed.

I venture would guess that you and I have had all the mentors at least once. And this is usually how this relationship works:

  • choose to take a day and time with your mentor, you usually meet in their office or on a. 1: 1 GoToMeeting and the door close
  • you warm up some challenge or decision (all in your view, by the way).
  • get some sage advice or a story from your mentor experience.
  • Perhaps you may not apply it.

Do not get me wrong, there is nothing broken with this experience. It's a wonderful investment of time by a senior manager or a peer. But what if you added that a mentoring experience that no investment is needed? It simply exists in the day to day, even leaders coming from behind the door.

I did not realize how powerful this work experience was and how lucky I am to live Citrix until I was sitting next to a manager in my department in a cube range to the bottom wall.

He worked with his own coach on the phone ... right there in an open workspace. He was very open and he was sharing insights through several challenges, the week has been gleaned. Suddenly he was so real! And were his insights so for me (well, maybe in a few years career). Not long after, another leader was on a GoToMeeting in an open work area, working on a project related problem. You really asked great questions and role modeling curiosity before directly to solution.

One of the most powerful events for me was the personal. I was on a GoToMeeting with a team member a 1 procedure: 1. I did not expect to any challenge to get calls, but you did. I had to sit a privacy room available where I could choose, if I expected to take a moment of friction, but I had not seen this coming.

After hanging up, a colleague who had been sitting next to me caught my eye. "You want to talk?" She asked. What followed was to help think one of the on-site mentoring session, me with the employee about the next steps. I was a better leader at the end, and so was the decision, the staff and I came to.

The challenges in the development of talents are real. According to Forbes.com, 3.6 million baby boomers are entitled to this year and 25% of Millennials into retirement will become managers. If talent to develop quickly ... ... is not on your mind, it should be. And luckily you do not need to hire someone to start your mentoring program. Just bring the walls, and bring leadership into the open.

You will be surprised how quickly people will grow.

Heathcare Banner

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar