7.6, 7.7 or 7.8? LTSR to the rescue!

3:58 PM
7.6, 7.7 or 7.8? LTSR to the rescue! -

This is a question, and I have to get lately, especially with our partners in Vegas this week at the Citrix Summit much value.

And it is a difficult question. Should we build this new Citrix Provisioning on the awesome 7.6 FP3 release with Thin Wire + that came 4 months ago? Or should we go with the new 7.7 version that shipped in front of the new year? Or should we wait for the release 7.8 that Calvin is said comes later in Q1?

Very fair questions, all of them, and it is always difficult for me to provide customers with the general guidelines in this area are available, but in my opinion, the answer came only much less "opaque" thanks something called LTSR .

they let me explain what LTSR is and why I think it's a big deal.

LTSR represents Long Term Service Release . And it's something that we announced this week at the summit, but it has probably not the air time to get it deserves. A quick bit of history and then I'll get to the point.

We (Citrix) have quite often shipped main versions historically (which is a problem), but the bigger problem is, we EOL released after about 2-3 years from the original date of shipment. So, who cares?

Now, most of our major XenApp / XenDesktop customers perform migrations every 4-5 years, on average (ie upgrade from XenApp 4.5 in 03 to XenApp 6.5 in 08, 5 years later). So the "math" is never given and our customers were forced to upgrade their Citrix products before they actually their underlying MSFT upgrade platforms wanted. And believe me, we heard about this from our larger customers who simply do not hold up and stay up to date.

So, we listened and acted on this customer feedback. I am very proud of our desktops and applications to intensify product team on the board and to deliver (I have a program like LTSR for the last decade lobbying!)

read more about the details here of LTSR ( and I encourage you to do this because some things from LTSR and there are more components than just LTSR XenApp and XenDesktop are excluded). And the LTSR FAQ will answer many of your questions. But the net-net is LTSR gives our customers the maintainability appreciate predictability and stability to stand for something 5 YEARS . And I mentioned stability there - we're going to try a little more than CR components this LTSR components, which is great. So you can support fewer cases expect when you stick with these LTSR components.

Finally, I love LTSR because I have constantly asked this question to go on the Citrix version with and what works "best" with 7.6 regarding compatibility (receiver 4.3 or 4.4, 3.0.1, or 3.5 storefront, etc.). And now I can confidently 7.6.3 with storefront with Receiver 4.4, for example, recommend 3.0.1, which are part of the first LTSR release. I'm not saying you should not or can not upgrade to 7.7 or 7.8, when it comes out; if you have a real business requirement for the zones PVS FIPS support or urgently need SSPR, then they go.

But if you value long-term maintainability and predictability, then you might want to keep up with LTSRs ahead. I will definitely try and facilitate most of my major clients on the LTSR the route both our lives in 2016 and beyond.

I hope that you are on this program as excited as I am. I think it's a big win for our customers and options are always good to have things. And by the way - if you are curious about what other important announcements I thought visits were a "big deal" at Summit my brief summary of on MYCUGC. The second point should occur quite known. 😉

-Nick

Nicholas Rintalan
lead architect, director & LTSR Master
Citrix Consulting Services (CCS)

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar